Friday, January 8, 2010

Scream If You Want To Live!

I place my black Beats by Dre headphones tightly on my eager ears. No, that was not product placement....

The red cables connect my ear drums to a black modern day bible; its contents? 18,453 testaments waiting to be heard in the form of Mp3s. Yeah, I’m talking about my 160Gb iPod Classic that I purchased for a low price of $278 at my local Apple Store. But for this evening, one song has taken my attention. One song has commanded my eyes to close, my body to relax, and my hands to push the headphones closer to my ears. Shhh! It’s on. I hear the introduction guitar riff, all distorted and grungy as though to state that this world is not so clean cut. The bass accompanies the initial riff with a run that screams “Do what you do guitar, I’ll be here the whole way.” In the distances, the high hats slowly warm up. Chee-chit-chee, chee-chit-chee. The drum beat joins soon enough with a marching beat strong and proud, along with the second guitar, creating a build up to one thing; Kenneth Vasoli’s amazing scream into the first verse of a song called Untitled by his band Person L. “Well yea I! I was going through a change. Well a change was going through me.” And with that scream, I allowed the burden of lack of self expression to evaporate from my very core.



I know what you are thinking. “Screaming songs are hardcore. They give me headaches.” But I assure you, Person L is no screamo band, not that those bands aren’t good. The difference between those bands and Person L is that when Kenneth screams, it’s for a reason; and it’s affective. Look at it this way. You have two people in a room, one guy is mean and grumpy all the time, the other guy quiet and easy going. Both of them snap at you. “What’s the matter with you!?” they shout. “You knew damn well that she was my girlfriend!” Who are you more likely to take seriously? I hope you picked the quiet guy that snapped, because you know he’s really, truly mad! The other guy? Well, sure, you slept with his girlfriend, but he also screamed at you for eating his Go-Gurt, so whatever. So when Kenneth screams, I feel it, I believe it.
What about that quiet, easy-going guy I mentioned earlier? Yeah, sleeping with his girlfriend was bad, but I’ll bet you a box of delicious thanksgiving stuffing that only 30% of that anger came from that incident. Ok, maybe 50%. Think about it. Point is, the quiet ones are the ones that build up all that anger inside until one day they snap. (I’m obviously excluding most deft people). And an innocent sleeping-with-his-girlfriend issue becomes World War 3. Hence the saying, “Don’t sleep with others’ girlfriends unless you want to start WWIII, especially if the guy is usually really quiet and doesn’t look like he’ll snap at all, when really he’s the one that will most likely go ballistic.”
Anyways, I took in all the genius words from above and decided that I am not going to be that quiet guy. So there I was, sitting in my black 2008 Toyota Tacoma, windows up, A-town down, with my chest full of air. I felt all my stress and grief of living in my momma’s basement, paying $600 rent and getting free food all gather into the center of my torso. I hear the guitar riff, the base line, the drum beat building up to one thing; a scream similar to Xena The Warrior Princess' war cry. I was actually going for a “dragon who’s slumber was disturbed” kind of scream, but like Ginuwine - I can only be me me me.
What I’m trying to say is, we all need to find time to scream once in a while. Not at others, not at ourselves, but just scream. Anger, stress, sorrow and all that shit are things that do not belong inside us. Let it out. I guarantee you’ll live much more pleasantly. Happy screaming.

P.S. Sorry for so many product placements, I’m trying to get mo-fucken-sponsored. And I expect a delicious box of thanksgiving stuffing in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment