Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ever Ever is a Hell of a Long Time

Ever wanted to be like someone else? Well I've always wanted to be Tom Waits, groggy voice and all, standing up there in a 70's jazz club.




(I’m wearing a black leather jacket over a white t-shirt with blue jeans. My collar is popped, my eyes fierce, behind those stylish shades. I got a bassist to my left holding that stand up wooden bass, a trumpet player to my right, both showering in the smoke and darkness of this hole in the wall club. The spot light is on me, and I’m on a stool. The audience’s chatter lowers, anticipating the monologue to start. A lady in a red dress right in the front row eyes me for an encore already, if you know what I mean. She blows the smoke from her cigarette towards me. And I begin.)

Ever ever is a hell of a long time
Believe otherwise then you fit the crime
Get it?
Run that bass right now (soft and low it runs. ba-do do do do ba-do do do do.......)
Just like that
yes, just like that...

Friendship, championship...
Pirate ships and relationships
All would be a hell of a trip
All those ships
Don't you think?...

Oh, and when the waves are high
Man, they.are.high
And for seconds there you thought you could fly
But that's the deck falling from your feet
Your heart skips a beat
You try to contain
But you're far from discrete...

And now that bass line runs
Juuuuuuusst a little ahead, Just a little
Cue the trumpets cause you're as good as dead (bam)
That's right. Give that trumpet a toot
Burglar rushes and forgets his loot
Shame shame shame
Do it again (bam bam)
Nice, nice, nice...

The forecast warned you
This is no time for sailing
It's not a fiasco
Consider it barely failing
And there goes that trumpet again (bam bam)
Sometimes it's like its your only friend
Solo! (bam bam bam toot toot toot)
Keep the bass going, keep it going (ba-do do do)
What's information if everyone's in the knowing?

Addicted to second hand
What's glass without sand?
If time were alive it'll be a hell of a man
Amen brother

So don't ever get caught up
Ever ever get caught up
When does ridiculous weigh more than enough?
Know what I mean?...

Put that life jacket on before committing the crime
But....ha.ha.
Ever Ever's a hell of a long time
Hell of a long time

Good night
*applause*
*fade out*

No comments:

Post a Comment