Monday, June 28, 2010

My Crappy Walk (Literally)

As I walk through the valley infested with dog poo I thought to myself, “there was a time when I felt this as being totally disgusting but now that I’ve walked it so often, it’s almost acceptable…” Like second nature, I weave and dodge the filth, by-products of lazy dog walkers, not even thinking of anything better. Out of all the neighborhoods in all the world, the neglect for cleaning after dogs had to frequently happen on the route from my work to my truck. All 10 blocks of it. Every morning I tread through it and every evening I dodge my way back to the sanctuary that is my vehicle. Today is no different. I put on my walking shoes and let out a deep sigh; going through the precautions in my head.

“Watch where you step. Look both ways before planting foot on ground. If you don’t know what it is, don’t step on it.”

This is my life. You can probably tell that I’ve stepped on dog crap before, among other things…but that’s a different story. Point is, I don’t want it to happen again. Do you know how tough it is to get that crap (literally) off your shoe?? Not to mention the fact that you end up being stinky for months. That shit (literally) lingers. It’s a lingerer. LINGERER. So needless to say, the precautions I take are valid.

So there I was with my attention on the pavement; right foot, left foot, and it hits me (literally); a metal pole that held up a stop sign. I look around for witnesses, to which I find none and continue my journey. Like a child playing the “don’t step on the cracks” game, I hop from area to area until I get to the parking space I usually park in. I mention early that today was like any other day; I lied. In previous days, my truck would be waiting for me without a concussion. Today, not so much. And by “not so much” I mean, my truck wasn't there and my head was bumpin'! And that’s when it hits me (literally). A football that projected from the arm of some 8 year old kid in the park across the street. And then it hits me. I didn’t park here at all today. In fact, I came in early to work for a meeting and got great parking a block away from my building, in the clean side of town. And then it hits me (literally). Another football. After swearing out loud and wondering why so many fucken kids are throwing footballs today, it hits me.

We’re too set in our ways. We live based on the past and sometimes neglect to evaluate the present. Sure, we may have stepped in dog poo the day before but today is different. We could have great parking this time. And by worrying and expecting the worst, we put ourselves into the same position again and run into poles. I throw the footballs back to those damn kids, who, I should mention need role models to teach them to throw, and made my way pass 10 blocks of that shit (literally) again thinking about what kind of walk I’ll have tomorrow. Then it hits me. There’s no work tomorrow.

So live for the moment everyone. Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment