Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Business of Life

I swivel ever so subtly in my work chair as I list the characteristics of the man sitting on the other side of my desk. “I couldn’t agree more Francis. You are assertive. You have strong social skills. You are a big picture thinker and you have that sense of urgency; all great characteristics of being a natural leader. The staff love working for you and you’ve gained trust from them that all managers wish they had.”

Francis nods. When he had started with the company there was nothing that he wanted more than to be the Practice Lead for his department. I’ve watched him grow as a professional; building the relationships needed for him to succeed; mentored by the best. His confidence complimented his humbleness in a strange way. He speaks. “The last thing that I want is someone to be hired off the streets with no connection to the company and the staff. They would have to start from the beginning; learning the business, building that relationship with clients. I mean, on paper they may seem great; 20 years of experience managing 150 plus staff, low turnover rates and all that. And I’ll admit that I don’t have that to brag about. I haven’t done all those things. But there are a lot of things that I do do. I love my work. I love my projects. I love my clients and my staff.”

The position that he speaks of is one that I recently posted. The former occupant of that spot is retiring and a successor is needed. I nod in the silence that takes over my office. I have no doubt that this man before me; in his late 30s has what it takes. His suit and tie shows that he is serious. His career development plan last year clearly states that he wants the role.

We sit here in silence, just two grown men with our suitcases and properly combed hair. I could smell the freshness in my white dress shirt, straight from the dry cleaners, thinking about all the years of schooling that has brought us to this conversation. We are educated men. Yes we are. Professionals respected by many. The one that will become the Practice Leader will dictate, not just the direction of the department, but of the direction of the city that we live in.

“You know that you just said do-do right?” I point out, giggling like a schoolgirl.

“Yeah,” he giggles back.

No comments:

Post a Comment